What Is Laminate Flooring?
Modern laminate floors give you the look and feel of a traditional hardwood floor, minus the cost typically associated with one. Instead of using boards made of solid wood, laminate flooring has a base of resin and particleboard wood, with a detailed image layer above and a thick, transparent protective layer.
These days, it’s hard to tell a laminate floor apart from hardwood. With intricate textures and color variations, this type of flooring provides a beautiful surface that feels natural. We even offer new water resistant laminate floors!
Laminate is Durable, Clean and Easy to Maintain
Because of their durability, hygienic qualities, and easy installation and maintenance, laminates quickly became the popular choice when cost-conscious consumers couldn’t bear the cost of tile, or stone floors. Glueless laminate flooring planks, tongue, and groove sections that snap together without needing adhesives were developed in 1996, making laminate easier to install and even more attractive to budget-minded homeowners.
There is not much price difference between laminates which mimic different types of surfaces like hardwood or stone. That’s because the manufacturing process is the same, regardless of style, color, or type.
What Are the Benefits of Installing Laminate Flooring?
Besides the terrific style options available, choosing laminate flooring installation gives homeowners and business owners many other benefits:
- Laminate flooring is less expensive than other types of flooring
- It can be faster to install
- Less susceptible to water damage
- It resists scratches
- Cleaning only requires quick sweeping — no sanding or refinishing
Few types of flooring are better than laminate for large families with pets or small children. The combination of durability, beauty, and style is irresistible for parents, especially if you’ve always loved the look of wood for interior design.
Laminate Flooring is a Low-Cost Alternative
Laminate flooring has evolved dramatically during the past decade. It used to be that laminate flooring was your flooring choice if you wanted something inexpensive, and also didn’t mind if your new floor didn’t look so good after only a couple of year’s use and abuse. Now, Great American Flooring offers contemporary laminate flooring that looks better, lasts longer, is more damage-resistant and is easier to maintain than its predecessors.
How Can You Customize Your Laminate Flooring?
The beauty of installing laminate flooring is that it’s easy to choose any features you want for your home’s interior design style.
- Color: Light oak, dark walnut, deep cherry, and other wood tones are just a few of the possibilities. Many contemporary homes use neutral grays and whitewashed wood floors.
- Appearance: There are also laminate floors that perfectly imitate the look and feel of stone, marble, ceramic tile, and other elegant materials. This gives you a lot of flexibility for different rooms of the house, and professional laminate flooring contractors tie everything together beautifully.
- Wood Design: Whether your home looks great with a sleek floor, distressed wood, or hand-scraped appearance, you can find exactly what you’re looking for.
- Artistic flair: Do you want to infuse your home with elements of 1970s style? Choosing laminate flooring lets you decorate floors with colorful patterns, from large rectangles to chic polka dots.
- Finish: Some homeowners prefer a matte style with its laid-back, country atmosphere. Floors with a brilliant sheen look contemporary and sophisticated.
- Patterns: This is something laminate floors do exceptionally well and for much less than hardwood. Herringbone or other patterns — are popular and our installers are qualified and ready to make that special look just for your floors!
How Can You Take Care of Your Laminate Floor?
Like many floor covering products, laminates require a little maintenance to keep them looking good. It is essential that laminates be kept clean. Dirt, sand, or even small, hard particles of dirt can scratch the surface in high traffic areas. It is also critical to keep laminates dry. Standing water can warp or swell the product. When it comes to placing furniture on laminate, protective pads on the feet will also avoid scratching and keep the surface looking great.
As with many products, not all laminates are created equal. Some inferior brands will look like a cheap imitation of the stone or wood they are supposed to emulate, and poor manufacturing can cause some laminates to separate, leaving gaps between the planks.
How Can You Choose the Right Laminate Flooring Contractor?
The fact is that most Wichita, Kansas area laminate flooring installers have access to the same flooring materials. So your decision about hiring a company should really come down to two key areas.
- Do you know exactly what you’re looking for, or would you like to work with a professional floor consultant (at no cost)?
- Does your project have any peculiarities or nuances that must be considered at the outset? (Remember, professional flooring consultants and installers will see things you will not. Expertise is critical!)
- Have you considered how your new laminate floor will integrate with your existing home décor?
- On-time estimates
- On-time scheduling
- Installation by professional craftsmen